Monday, June 30, 2008

MONEY!! ON HE's MIND!!


Lil Wayne doesn’t come cheap. To let him tell it, the self-proclaimed “best rapper alive,” who has collaborated with artists ranging from Enrique Iglesias to more subterranean acts like Little Brother, commands between $100,000 to $75, 000 for a guest verse.The cheaper rate (75k) goes when Wayne likes the song or beat, and apparently, exceptions are hardly made. “I wouldn’t do a song for my sister for less than $75,000,” Wayne told Rolling Stone Magazine.Sure, major labels are likely to fork up to 100k for a Wayne verse or hook, but what about indies with little to no budget? Though signed to a major imprint, Akon’s Kon Live/Interscope, Kardinal Offishall was fortunate enough to get the five-finger discount. “At the time, he had did it for free,” Kardi told XXLMag.com regarding Weezy’s verse on “My Swag,” which also featured the Clipse’s Pusha-T. “We didn’t even pay him. Mind you, it was a minute a go. I don’t wanna bust Wayne’s buble like that, but, big up to Wayne for sure.”While Bun B, who featured Weezy on “Damn I’m Cold” off his recently released LP, II Trill, wouldn’t talk prices, he salutes Wayne for getting his money. “Go Wayne,” Bun cheered. “I wish I got 75, 100 a cameo.”Wayne’s sister may have to save up for a verse, but Ludacris doesn’t necessarily have to. In addition to working on songs on one another’s projects, Wayne has also worked with Luda signees Playaz Circle.“I can say that I’m on his album and he’s on mine,” Luda offered. “But as far as the business is worked out, no disrespect, but I rather keep that private. It’s his business, so he can tell it. But as far as I handle mine, shoot, it was just a mutual respect thing. So read between the lines.”

No comments: